The evidence is conclusive. All retail advertising plans should leverage out-of-home media (OOH). We’ve got proof. Cold, hard facts.
- After analyzing 45 cases, Rick T. Wilson, Ph.D.’s recent study reported incremental store visits ranged from 50.2 – 127.4% for consumers exposed to OOH media compared to those who weren’t exposed to OOH media.
- The 2019 Cuebiq Footfall Attribution Benchmarks study shows that OOH media drives more uplift in store visits than mobile or mobile and desktop combined campaigns, with OOH uplift being 80 – 120%.
- Nielsen’s OOH Advertising Study reports that 20% of OOH viewers have visited a business directly after seeing a directional ad and 74% of those visitors made a purchase.
- Omnicom Media Group’s Benchmarketing found that when OOH is incorporated into the media mix for any campaign, the overall campaign revenue ROI improves.
CB2, a modern furniture and home decor retailer, drove awareness and store visits for its location in Boston.
Out-of-home media (OOH) has proven itself time and time again that it can help a retailer increase awareness, build brand equity, drive store visits and improve retail advertising effectiveness across the rest of the media mix.
There are many benefits of OOH media that are advantageous for retailers. The most notable being the location-based messaging that offers last-touch marketing opportunities to drive door turns and purchase decisions near the store itself.
For years, we’ve been monitoring placement. Retail advertising that is served within two to five miles of a retailer store performed better. Proximity is a key factor in the effectiveness of a media campaign. People who are in nearby locations are more likely to convert. Location is a strong intent signal. It’s science.
National brands who want to scale campaigns across all markets can hone in on the OOH placements nearest each local store location for maximum results.
There are many ways to leverage the power and creative of OOH media in your retailer marketing plan.
- Secure OOH placements in close proximity to your stores where your key shopper audience will also have high likelihood of viewing
- Use mobile billboards to drive exactly where you need to position your creative regardless of other OOH inventory availability
- Integrate your mobile display advertising to hone in on the same OOH locations in order to boost online engagement at the local level
- Add street teams to interact with people and distribute special offers for additional sales activation when you’re goals relate to foot traffic and immediate promotions
- Streamline your creative to be unified across all channels
OOH media is a location-based strategy that supports brick-and-mortar retailers effectively. Raise brand awareness. Drive foot traffic. Promote specials. Your retail campaign isn’t complete without out-of-home media.
- The Balance, Retail Sales Report; https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-retail-sales-statistics-and-trends-3305717
- Digital Commerce 360; https://www.digitalcommerce360.com/article/e-commerce-sales-retail-sales-ten-year-review/
- Bizain; https://www.bizain.com/brick-and-mortar-retail-statistics/
- National Retail Federation, Holiday and Seasonal Trends; https://nrf.com/insights/holiday-and-seasonal-trends
- National Retail Federation, Economic Impact of U.S. Retail Industry; https://8f6bc1832c450a008db7-83b75ad4e71f1487522ba624f2d5d5be.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/NRF_PWC-The%20Economic%20Impact%20of%20the%20US%20Retail%20Industry%20REV.pdf
- Think with Google; https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/marketing-resources/micro-moments/how-micromoments-are-changing-rules/
- Sourcing Journal; https://sourcingjournal.com/topics/lifestyle-monitor/pop-ups-110416/
- Salesforce; https://www.salesforce.com/blog/2018/08/digital-shopper-first-retail-report-research.html
- Tinuiti; https://www.cpcstrategy.com/blog/2019/01/retail-trends-2019/
- Monkey Jobs; https://www.jobmonkey.com/retailjobs/retail_jobs_statistics/
- OOH industry statistics via OAAA; https://oaaa.org/ProofOOHWorks/Overview.aspx
Large chains and small businesses alike focus on the local market when promoting traffic to their individual locations. Out-of-home media (OOH) can be an effective format for your retail advertising plan. Request a customized proposal on our contact page.